Wanderlust Challenge... January....


Hi all...

Well... I managed to finish my first Wanderlust Challenge piece in the middle of a storm! I have been fighting wind & rain... lots of it! I have louver windows in my craft room so the wind has been blowing the rain up and over the glass!!! Its been pretty crazy!

Anyway... In between dodging the showers I completed my very first Wanderlust Challenge... it was to be inspired by the following quote...

'Sometimes what your most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free...'

...instead of being afraid of 'doing' something in particular... I chose the word 'Change'... in our own children as well as ourselves as parents... I thinks is very natural for parents to be afraid for their children... 'will they be OK?'... but, more often than not, they they will thrive & live amazing lives... and still cause you sleepless nights no matter how old they are... I've just turned 50 and my parents still worry about me... & my life is definitely amazing!


A 'nest' always feels very nurturing, but the baby birds have go through a lot of changes...  first they need to grow feathers... they need to eventually leave the nest... learn to fly & live their life... simple...

In my case, my wonderful son has recently turned 18... he's starting UNI next year... now works part time... drives and is completely self sufficient.  We have always encouraged him to be self sufficient & not be 'afraid' of 'Change'... to learn from mistakes, grow and develop skills to help him live a full and rewarding life... We have commented this week that things have changed so much in the last few months... all in a good way... he seems so mature now... I'm not driving him to friends houses... not running him to school anymore... he is off doing his own thing... One thing he often say to me is... 'Don't worry Mum... I'll be fine...' and I know he will be...

It can be easy for anyone to take the easy road and not to change anything because of fear... but where is the fun in that! Just ask my son!!!














so... this is how my little 'Nest of Change' started... using watercolour paper I roughly sketched a nest... drawing in 3 precious little eggs... drew in more detail and using a Faber Castel super fine Pitt Artist Pen, I drew the final image... rubbed out the pencil and used my Faber Castel Albrecht Durer Water Colour Pencils to add colour to the nest... the eggs were coated with Ranger Glossy Accents... the little water droplets were also made with the Glossy Accents...






...for the leaves, I stamped out the images using a Stampin' Up! French Foliage stamp... coloured them with watercolour pencils... using the same colours of the nest... cut them out and screwed them up a bit while they were still wet... let them dry and added a bit more black shading... and started the fun part of layering... more watercolour, more pencil, more distressing etc. etc....





Below is my view at the moment out my little window of my shed... (its a pretty awesome 'shed')  rain, rain & more rain...We are on 2 1/2 acres and the bit behind the trees is miles of ever changing farmland... looking a bit brown at the moment but in the middle of winter it is beautiful & green... still... not bad for part of a backyard... my little horse friends live just to the left so I often hear them when I have the windows open... doesn't get much better than that!!!


This was an awesome challenge... It made me think a lot of how rich our lives are... we don't ever take anything for granted... enjoy every day and laugh lots!!!!

Till next time...

Luv Deb x

Comments

  1. Deb, I love this. What a beautiful presentation with so much thought, caring and love. (I have a daughter named Deb (Deborah) who is your age born August 6.) This journey with Wanderlust is so rewarding getting to know such creative people through their art. Thanks for sharing such a warm part of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne... meeting 'like minded' people through Wanderlust has been such a fabulous part of the course... people who we may not have ever had the fortune to meet... to share what they are doing, creating & enjoying...

      I'm a Deborah too... only ever called that when I was a kid & did something naughty... then I got 'Deborah Kay!!!'... now I can do as may naughty things as I want and still be 'Deb..' :)

      Delete
  2. Stunning work. Like your story why you did choose the word change. Your nest turned out so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you showed the process of making this piece of art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment